Brainstrummings from a Bug-Eyed Bookworm

Tiff is a PhD student in English literature at UC-Berkeley. She takes no prisoners, bars no holds, holds no bars.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Speaking of Locusts (Untitled.)

Here is a purposely pretentious poem contemplating the killing of locusts sent to me by Jo Hunter.


locust exoskeleton
continues.
The big question
I ask myself
is, "can I justify murder
so that I can send this little exoskeleton,
where it will stay
preserved (in ethyl alcohol 75% and up)
for posterity
with jiejie?"
As I ponder this difficult question
I find myself amongst the hopping
green
locusts
(with purple and red spots)
and ask smaller questions:
"Locii, why haven't you died of natural causes
yet?"
"Why has your brother who died of natural causes
had his head eaten"
by ants?
the locusts stare back
not knowing the big question in my mind
or the sharp safety pin
in my pocket

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home