Brainstrummings from a Bug-Eyed Bookworm

Tiff is a PhD student in English literature at UC-Berkeley. She takes no prisoners, bars no holds, holds no bars.

Monday, January 23, 2006

The Sexiest Denomination

Yesterday evening, I attended a session offered by the First Presbyterian Church of Berkeley on "hard issues" (such as Christianity in relation to wealth, patriotism, new life and death--which I assume encompasses abortion). Yesterday, the topic was Christianity and human sexuality. It's fairly interactive, with the attendees asking the pastor leading the session any questions they might have, or sharing any information that they think pertinent.

In response to the pastor's statement, "We just don't say, 'Presbyterians are sexy.' It's just not something you hear," one guy asked:

"So, in your opinion, which do you think is the sexiest denomination?"

The pastor's vote went to the Roman Catholics. His reason? According to him, the Roman Catholic church has done a better job of incoporating and recognising the body and bodily experiences (like child-bearing) in the role of faith and worship.

I'm not sure if I understood him entirely. But any thoughts? Or any other nominees for the SEXIEST DENOMINATION?

5 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course the sexiest Christian denomination is Catholicism! And I am its representative...just kidding. Have you seen Madonna's "Like a Prayer" music video? Could that have taken place within the clean, spare lines of a Presbyterian church? I don't think so. We got the bells and whistles, baby--the sumptuous, earthy, flamboyant art; the mystery of the ritual; the pageantry of emotionalism; the confessional booths; and the sensuous guilt of perpetual sinners. Including me, for writing this!

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger GT Foodies said...

I'd say the Methodists might be strong contenders. After all, wasn't it Charles Wesley, composer of "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing," who also wrote, "I'm Too Sexy For This World"?

 
At 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Mormons win hands-down, polygamy and all. Though I suppose it's rather tenuous whether they would be considered a Christian "denomination".

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Amazing Hypatia said...

Wow...I am not sure who gets the prize for this title, but I think it's definitely not the Pentecostals...

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have to say the Episcopalians are the sexist! They've managed to integrate the worship practices of the Protestant and Catholic traditions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home